Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Calves, Vegetables, and Buttermilk Pie, Oh My!




Sweet Readers,

Welcome back to the hollow. Let me hang my apron up and I will meet you on the porch.

Lavinia Messer brought over a buttermilk pie today. She is well known for her collection of blue ribbons garnered for her pies and cakes at the county fair. I love to see her making her way here carrying her Mama’s split-oak basket on her arm…means goodness is snuggled inside!  Hope you will try her recipe. It took a lot of convincing to get her to share this mouth-watering delight with our porch-tending club. I ‘m savoring a piece as I watch the cows graze in my neighbors pasture.

I’ve been told two calves are expected any day now. One mama, named White Cheeks, looks like her blessed event could occur any moment. The farmer takes such good care of his cows. My mind always wanders to what a Good Shepherd we have in our heavenly Father…always watching over His children.

I noticed the first hint of fall make an appearance this week. The hollow has a crisp feel in the air and a tinge of color kissing the ancient oak tree behind the spring-house. My neighbor, Bob, said he would be pressing apple cider in the next few days. I will ask him to make some pictures to share and I have hope for a gallon of the sweet nectar to find its way to me.


 Mentioning the spring-house brought to remembrance the rows of jewel-toned vegetable jars that lined its shelves holding the promise of savory soup in the cold of winter. The sight of those packed jars always gave generations of women, caretakers of the home place, a sense of fulfilling the instructions of the Proverbs 31 woman by providing for the needs of her family.



Well, I’ve finished off this piece of pie and I’ll try my best to resist the call of a second slice. The recipe is below.

Be sure to come back and visit…you are always welcome. Please let me know of any prayer requests…it will be an honor to pray for you.

Farewell sweet summer.
Welcome glorious fall.

UPDATE: Calf spotted in the pasture! Pictures on next post.


Image from Add A Pinch, Robyn Stone

Southern Buttermilk Pie

Ingredients

I large (9 inch) pie crust
½ cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 1/2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
Nutmeg (to sprinkle on top of pie)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream together butter and sugar.
After butter and sugar are combined fully, add flour and eggs.
Mix well until fully combined.
Add buttermilk and vanilla extract.
Pour into prepared piecrust and sprinkle nutmeg on top.
Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done (a toothpick should come out clean when inserted in pie middle.)
The pie will be slightly jiggly after baking.
Allow at least one hour to cool and set before serving.





Image credit: Add A Pinch

13 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm.... I can smell that delicious pie from here. I love you so much my precious DeeDee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love YOU so much!!! Prayers appreciated...writing a piece about Brooke today for a friend's blog.

      Delete
  2. I was thanking God for you today! I love to read your words. They always leave me wanting more! Love this sweet pea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, precious Daphne...so thankful for you. So pleased my words can bless.

      Delete
  3. Nothing like porch time with Dee Dee!!! I can see the sights as you describe them with a longing to be at your side in person!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love spending porch time with you. It always brings calm to my crazy life. Love you, Sweet Lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, love having you visit the hollow. Your words were a blessing to me.

      Delete
  5. Love your sweet words, Dee Dee. Looking forward to pulling one of those out of my oven soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah. Let me know how your pie turns out. So sweet to have you visit the hollow...come back. Soon.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I needed to take a break from this busy life and breathe fresh fall air with you. Thanks for letting sit a spell on your porch. Don't turn your back... this sugar free friend is gaining a sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NAME WITH YOUR COMMENT! :)

Thank you!

Blessings, Dee Dee