Monday, January 8, 2018

My January Ponderings

Dear readers, welcome to my January ponderings! 

You need only a four-wheel drive vehicle and a healthy amount of gumption to find a cup of hot tea or hot chocolate waiting for you. (I ran out of whipped cream for the cocoa on day three of single digit temperatures...no judgment, please.) 

New Years Day arrived in the hollow with ice and snow in tow. The inclement weather has kept us inside with warm drinks and books on the to-read list stacked by our chairs.

Our Christmas tree is still up and fully decorated. The icy ground has kept us from bringing the storage boxes in from the sheds because they're a ways from the house. But when I start to get anxious over the length of time the decorations have been up and wanting the house back to its pre-Christmas self, I pick a certain ornament and meditate on why, and for whom, it was chosen. Calms my spirit.


Hope you all had a beautiful and blessed Christmas. Was family gathered at your hearth? Did cards arrive catching you up with old and new friends? Did you share favorite foods and celebrate traditions that perhaps brought to memory those no longer with you?

Whether you’ve shared the majesty of a stately columned church or sat upon the rough-hewn pews of a clapboard Appalachian meeting place on Christmas Eve, it's time to turn your eyes to the twelve months that stretch before you.

“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” 
Lucy Maude Montgomery

Here in the old farmhouse we ready ourselves for inside activities. Puzzles await a few pieces to be added here and there, and needlework is scooted within reach.
Family quilts are piled upon iron beds. Seasoned wood is stacked by fireplaces, shucky beans will be reborn to be eaten with pones of hot buttered cornbread. Yum!

These fresh, new days are times for planning, for dreaming, and for great expectations to take hold in our spirits.

“See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:19


 Speaking of new…Cathy Baker and I are excited to reveal a collaborative writing project where we create gatherings that provide both fun and meaningful ways for women to gather with a bigger picture in mind. Watch for our Valentine's Day gathering on a new site, Soulful Ink, February 2nd. We'll share the link on Facebook once the new site is up and running later this month. Please stop by to say hello!  


Another new venture in 2018 is a prayer ministry my husband Jim and I are starting in our home. I would be honored to pray for you. Please email me here if you have a request. 

Have a beautiful and blessed New Year. I hope you'll come go home with me to the hollow often.

Love you bunches,
Dee Dee








10 comments:

  1. Such sweet, inviting and warm descriptions, DeeDee, which placed me right in your home. I love the idea of praying for the giver of an ornament. I've prayed through Christmas cards but not ornaments. Looking forward to reading more -especially the announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet DeeDee, I love this prayer ministry! What a beautiful thing. Hung on every word here. It makes me want to dust off the old blog and revive the keyboard. Love you so much, hoping we can come that way again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so excited for you, Dee Dee! Your project sounds amazing. Fellowship with sisters gathered around the Father. Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, my friend. Blessings and Happy New Year! See you next month. (PS ... my tree is still up too.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dee Dee, thanks for sharing this sweet post. So glad you are feeling better. Wishing you all the best with your new adventures. Blessings, Deborah H. Bateman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see another post which always brings me to your front porch rocking chair with views of meadows and cows. Excited for your new adventure with the other side of the pod!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post and your voice in it. Happy New Year, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the time we spend together, even when it is online. This is a wonderful and exciting opportunity for you and Cathy! So glad to hear that you and Mr. Jim are expanding your prayer ministry. You are such a blessing, dear friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited to hear about your new venture with Cathy! I'll look for your new site when it's up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Told as only Dee Dee can. I love your voice. Puts me right there inside your cozy home. Can’t wait for the joint venture with you and your fellow pea! Blessings and love, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NAME WITH YOUR COMMENT! :)

Thank you!

Blessings, Dee Dee