Friday, July 28, 2023

Fanciful Fireflies

by Dee Dee Parker

An Invitation has been issued. 

Please join me at day-down (sundown to you non-mountaineers) on my front porch for The Fanciful and Fabulous Firefly Parade.

http://www.hearthsidecabinrentals.com/blog/smoky-mountains/dates-firefly-event-in-the-smoky-mountains/

I wait on my front porch expectantly, supper dishes washed, and apron hung on its peg. My eyes focus on the huge field across from my farmhouse. 

Darkness descends like a velvet curtain pierced with miniature stars. I step quietly into the thousands of flickering lights, as the magic slowly rises from the grass, and then disappears into the tops of the trees.



I always wish for a few more magical moments amid this beauty but, the lights dim, as if a master switch has been thrown and the field loses its glory.

I repeat this beautiful dance, night after lazy-summer night. I miss viewing the parade with my wonderful husband, Jim, as he now views the beautiful spectacle from heavens viewpoint. I have a precious gift from Jim, a mason jar with artificial fireflies that come to life with the flip of a switch, even on the coldest winter nights. These twinkles warm my heart when loneliness sets in.

Childhood floats back to me on a wave of memory with pictures of me waiting on the stoop for the darting sparks of light to magically appear. My brother and I would soon hear mother's call of supper time, and we tell the fireflies goodnight. 

I passed on my love of fireflies to my children. When my daughter was confined to a hospital bed during her fight with cancer, she took my jar of "forever" fireflies using it as a nite light.

I know this seems a poor source of entertainment to the tech savvy population of the world. No whistles. No bells. Just a soft retreat from the business of life.

Such is the tug of the mountains.

Good night, Sweet Readers, rest peacefully under His heaven.

Love you bunches and enjoy this poem,

Dee Dee


The Dance of the Fireflies

Across the road in a field nearby,
I enjoy the dance of the fireflies. 

I watch from my porch, as they alight,
Filling the evening with such delight.

As the darkness descends, the sparkles grow.
The light gets brighter and begins to glow. 

And the flashes flit from place to place, 
They dance their dance with beauty and grace. 

I could sit for hours and enjoy this scene,
Their movements so peaceful and so serene. 

But alas, they finish the dance of light,
And I must await til the following night. 

by Mary Denman





Image courtesy of Hearthside Cabin Rentals. Click here to view their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NAME WITH YOUR COMMENT! :)

Thank you!

Blessings, Dee Dee